Resources for Learning at Home
In early 2020, our world took a turn that sent our students, families, and educators into a distance learning arena. Navigating the new structures within our lives, schools, and places of work certainly brought unexpected challenges. Thankfully, and with the help of our school community, we locked arms, shook off the surprise, and went right into collaboration, innovation, and implementation. Determined to ensure a comprehensive approach, we re-imagined and initiated our Montessori pedagogy through a remote platform that still ultimately adheres to our mission to foster personal and academic growth, independence, confidence, responsibility, and joyful lifelong learning.
Here is a compilation of family-friendly virtual tours, music, exercise, story times, and other activities to support and assist you as you, our incredible parents, work diligently to don yet another hat. If you have any questions or specific needs that you’d like support with, please feel free to contact us and we will do our best to provide answers or resources for you. You may also send us resources that you feel would benefit other parents within our community.
Tips for Working Parents With Virtual Learners
- Set a schedule. Plan tomorrow today to support your focused work time as parents as well as an independent learning time for your students.
- Take advantage of recorded classes. If your child is needing support with their online learning, do the recorded lesson when it fits in your work schedule.
- Set boundaries: Your children need routines and you might need times when you’re in “do not disturb” mode.
WORK FROM HOME/PARENTING RESOURCES
- Trauma-Informed, evidence-based, social emotion learning from Dr. Becky Bailey, Conscious Discipline
- Strategies for working from home during the stay at home orders
- Sample Schedules For Kids Home From School During Coronavirus Outbreak
- Social Distancing: Now What Do I Do With My Kids (Dr. Ziegler)
- Tips for Working With Kids Home (Washington Post)
- How to Work From Home With Kids When You’re Socially Distancing
- Parenting and Coronavirus Webinar
- 13 Simple Ways Any Adult Can Support Language Development in Young Children
- Working from home: A guide to creating a healthy and productive workspace at home
- The Complete Guide to Sleep Regression
- Cleveland Orchestra – Discover new ways to connect with the Cleveland Orchestra
- Cleveland Zoo – Virtual Classroom at 11am & virtual exploring at 1pm
- Cincinnati Zoo – Virtual Safari 12pm Daily and replays available
- Monterey Bay Aquarium – Live cams of animals
- Virtual Farm – tours grouped by age!
- Museums, Operas, & Symphonies
- 12 Museums Offering Virtual Tours
- National Parks Tours
- Road Trip from Home: Virtual Field Trips
STORIES, MUSIC, & ART
- Stay and Create with Hershey Montessori School’s Concord Campus Art Guide, Golnar Parry
- Playhouse Square at Home
- Authors Doing Online Read Alouds – by grade level
- Mo Willems lunchtime doodle lessons (author of the Pigeon books)
- Story time from space – astronauts reading to us from space!
- Center for Puppetry Arts – livestream puppet shows
- Draw everyday with JJK – drawing lessons daily 12pm (CST)
- Metropolitan Opera – Daily – 6:30 PM (CST) – recording will remain on the site each day for 20 hours
- 15 Broadway Plays & Musicals You Can Watch From Home
- Cosmic Kids – Yoga, mindfulness, & relaxation videos for ages 3+
- GoNoodle: Good Energy at Home offers free movement, yoga, and mindfulness videos.
- Smithsonian Learning Lab – Understand history, art, culture, and the sciences through inquiry and analysis.
- Scholastic Free Learn at home
- Nasa– released full image library
- ScienceFlix (Grades 5+) – available until April 20th free of charge (Username: Learning20 / Password: Clifford)
- New York Public Library – download over 300,000 books for free
- 10 Documentaries to Watch With Kids
- 25 Best Podcasts for Kids (Common Sense Media)
- Brains on! – science podcast for kids
What Hershey Montessori School Parents are Saying
Staff Spotlight: Luisa Mendez
This month’s staff spotlight honors Luisa Mendez. Luisa has been with Hershey Montessori School since 2008. She started at Hershey as the Spanish teacher and Library coordinator. She then went on to earn her AMI diploma in Denver, Colorado. Luisa now works as a Young...
Alumni Spotlight: Makenna Venaleck
This Alumni Spotlight is devoted to Makenna Venaleck. Makenna is in her fourth year as a full-time student at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio, where she lives with her three roommates and Wybie, their "wonderful" cat. She will graduate in May with a B.S. in Chemical...
Staff Spotlight: Doug Cornett
This month’s staff spotlight honors Doug Cornett. Doug is Hershey Montessori's Upper School ELA (English Language Arts) Guide. He is in his first year at Hershey and has integrated superbly into our community. Doug is originally from Hudson, Ohio. After graduating...
Staff Spotlight: Lakisha Wingard
This month’s staff spotlight honors Lakisha Wingard. Lakisha is our Director of Admissions and Coordinator of the Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging circle. She joined the Hershey community in 2016 and is celebrating her 6th year with us. She and her spouse...
Schedule a Virtual Visit and Information Session
We encourage prospective parents and students to schedule a virtual visit or private tour of our Concord and/or Huntsburg Campus. We will tailor visits and tours based on individual needs, interests, and current COVID-19 regulations. Contact us to discuss options and arrange a personalized information session.